Tips and treatment for relieving itchy, red eyes
Blossoming buds and lush, green grass can be a beautiful sight – unless you suffer from eye allergies. If your eyes or eyelids are red, puffy, watery or itchy, you probably have allergic conjunctivitis. If you’re an indoors type and generally avoid plant life but still suffer from these pesky symptoms, other allergic irritants include mold spores, dust mites and pet dander.
No matter which allergen is irritating your eyes, our Airdrie eye doctor can help alleviate your painful vision.
What are eye allergies?
The uncomfortable symptoms appear in reaction to your immune system identifying a substance as an allergen. In response, your body manufactures antibodies that release histamines into your cells, leading to all those irritating sensations. While your vision isn’t in any danger, there’s no doubt that the symptoms can be severe and painful.
How are eye allergies treated?
Avoidance is the golden rule when it comes to treating eye allergies. But what can you do when the irritant can’t be fully avoided?
- Invest in a vacuum with a HEPA filter to remove indoor allergens
- Wear wraparound sunglasses to keep pollen out of your eyes
- Always wash your hands after petting any furry creatures or touching plants
- Apply saline eye drops regularly to rinse your eyes
- Use oral antihistamine medications and OTC eye drops; consult with our Airdrie eye doctor about which types are best
- Prescription drugs may be used to relieve your symptoms
- Reduce your wearing time for contact lenses, because airborne allergens can build up on contacts (or switch to daily disposables)
Visit our eye doctor in Airdrie
Beware, the symptoms of eye allergies could indicate a different medical problem. That’s why it’s essential to get an eye exam and diagnosis from our Airdrie eye doctor.
At Browz Eyeware, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 587-600-0644 or book an appointment online to see one of our Airdrie eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!